Thursday, October 9, 2008

Beautiful Couple from Bristol

Yesterday Celia and I had our second wedding anniversary, which took place at Mary's Inn & Restaurant in Bristol, Vermont back on October 8, 2006. Wow, where does the time go? Anyway, last year I had the opportunity to buy a lot of cartes de visites all taken in Bristol, Vermont during the Civil War period, which are fairly rare considering it was a small town then and still is! This is a really nice and touching image of a couple who possibly lived in Bristol during the mid-nineteenth century. I love how this unknown young woman has lovingly placed her hand on what must her husband's shoulder. He was quite a handsome gentleman but his hair was a bit wild that day! They look fairly well to do, definitely not like farmers at all, so I'm wondering if the man was a doctor, lawyer, or something of that sort. The photographer who took this really great image was Irving Dunshee, of Bristol, who according to the Dunshee Family website, was born in Vermont in 1834 and died at age 35 on April 10, 1870 at Bristol and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery there. I have several more of his images which I will be posting here in the future.

1 comment:

JR said...

Cool pic Chris, I still can not get over that it has been two years!